The City Park was purchased in 1901 from the Governor Cosgrove estate for the fair price of $600.00. It included large clumps of black willow trees which were native to the area. The remainder of the ground was largely covered by a jungle of undergrowth, which was later cleared and the trees now standing were planted. While the trees were growing on the park site, the ground was rented for a time to A.H. Mendenhall who grew fine crops of potatoes and saw to the trees.
About 1904 or 1905 the trees were large enough to provide considerable shade and the public began to use the park. The city officials had the ground leveled and seeded to bluegrass.
Many parts of the park have changed since then. Tennis courts were added about 1935 with the City of Pomeroy providing the materials and a group of young men providing the labor. The park now contains a gazebo and covered picnic area for everyone to enjoy.
Click HERE for more information.